Hello Everyone! PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK is the feature cartridge this week and today I'm focusing on the TAGS on this cartridge.
One of my favorite little mini albums to make is this FILE FOLDER mini that is made from a 12"x12" file folder. It has FOUR of the PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK tags that are used to showcase additional photos and journaling. This is one was actually a gift that I made to give to my daughter & son-in-law for Christmas this past year. They got married Christmas 08 (Dec 21st) and their wedding colors were Tiffany Blue, Black, Silver & White. Which is why I chose those colors for this mini album. I also use the font from PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK and the CHRISTMAS CHEER cartridge for decorations.
First, let me give you the supply list for the FILE FOLDER mini album itself:
1 - 12x12 File Folder (CTMH sells a 5-pk for $5.95)
4 - Coordinating 12x12 Patterned Cardstock
2 - 12x12 Solid Matching Cardstock
2 - 12x12 White Cardstock
(Click on picture to see the beginning of the instructions more clearly)
1. Fold in half longways
2. Starting at the middle fold, measure then score every 4" in both directions
3. Fold with a bone folder for sharp edges
4. Fold in an accordion fold, using a bone folder to sharpen the folds
5. Make sure all edges line up. Sometimes I leave the tabs on both sides, but for this project I cut them off to line up with the rest of the album.
6. Choose your papers/cardstock. I find that using coordinating papers from a stack works really well. This cardstock is the 'To Have & To Hold' line from KAISERCRAFT.
7. You will need a total of 12 pieces cut at 6"x3.75". It is totally up to you how many of which design.
8. Lay them out on the file folder and decide how you want them arranged, glue them down.
9. Using PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK, cut a circle at 3.25", then fold it in half.
10. With the fold of the accordion album down (that's what makes the pockets) trace, then cut the half circle out of the top of the 4 center panels only!
11. Like a book, the front cover is on the left and you will read from the left going to the right, then turn the book around and continue left to right.
12. The bottom fold helps make the pockets for the tags.
13. Before glueing everything togther, glue some coordinating cardstock inside so that it shows through the semi-circle pocket tops.
14. Fold and glue sides together only on the seams in the middle and all edges of the ends... BE CAREFUL NOT TO GLUE THE POCKETS CLOSED!
The scalloped tag was cut from the CHRISTMAS CHEER in white at 3.75" and shadowed in a blue GEMSTONE cardstock. I used rub-ons for the word "Our" and cut the "1st" at 1.25" from the PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK cartridge. For a final touch, I used glitter glue from the $1 bin at Joann's around the edges.
The year 2008 was cut from PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK at 1.5" and shadowed.
There are 4 blue tags inside the pockets. Those are the Tag2 (shift) tags on PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK and were cut at 5.25"
The presents are from CHRISTMAS CHEER, cut at 3"
Snowflakes from CHRISTMAS CHEER and an Autumn Leaves snowflake stamp set.
The trees are also from CHRISTMAS CHEER, cut at 4" & 5"
The picture on the back cover is actually of the top of their wedding cake.
This is the backside of the album. All of these pictures are from Christmas morning.
The tags are an important part of this project and along with the font... PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK is the perfect cartridge for it. There are several steps in making this album, but it truly is not a complicated project. A really nice CTMH consultant named, Elaine in California is the one who originally taught me how to do this project and I love it! It makes GREAT gifts for teacher, family & friends and doesn't cost an arm & a leg to do it! I've done several of these albums... one for each of my kids, I liked sitting them on the shelf above my desk when I worked in the corporate world, now they have a place of honor in my studio. Below are some of the other FILE FOLDER Mini Albums I have made... you can see more photos of them HERE.
Love those TAGS! I've got more PLANTIN SCHOOLBOOK for you tomorrow, we will be focusing on the awesome fonts that are on this cartridge.